Edit: I’ve added a complete table on the bottom of the page to include the completed build component list.
The all-city space horse was completed last Tuesday; I’ve only been able to put two rides on it so far. I’ve been out of town most of the time since its completion. The ride is smooth and it seems to hold small loads for commuting extremely well. The rack mounts lower than other bikes I’ve had with rear rack mounts and the lower pannier height is fantastic. There’s also a lot of room between the pannier and heel of my shoe, which was a problem on my cross commuter that I had been using the last 2 years.
The bike looks amazing and one of the key components is a new wheel being offered by Velocity USA, the atlas. It’s a 25.4 mm box section rim with eyelets. I have it in their new polished finish as well and it really sets off the classic steel look of the bike. I’ve received many compliments on the bike already, though most of the credit goes to all-city for making a beautifully designed frame and Velocity USA for making wheels that match the build perfectly. The rest of the build is ritchey classic components and campagnolo veloce drive train. I did put a shimano tiagra crankset on because of the ease of finding bottom brackets and because I think shimano makes the best cranksets around.
Here are some pictures of the rest of the build. The bike is a bit heavy on at 28lbs 8 ounces but that’s not horrible considering that it’s designed for carrying loads up to 50 lbs (30 rear, 20 front according to All-City’s website).
Thanks for reading.
Here is a completed parts list for the build.
- Frame and fork: All-city Space Horse
- Wheels: Velocity Atlas
- Tires: Vittoria Randonneur (switched out the conti’s when I determined 700×28 was too skinny)
- Crankset: Shimano Tiagra
- Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 2
- Chain: KMC 10-spd
- Cassette: Campagnolo Veloce
- Shifters: Campagnolo Veloce
- Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Veloce
- Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Veloce
- Saddle: Brooks B15 Swallow Chrome
- Seatpost: Ritchey Classic 4-axis
- Stem: Ritchey Classic 4-axis
- Handlebar: Ritchey Classic 4-axis
- Rear rack: Axiom Journey w/ spring
- Fenders: SKS Longboard